Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Rookie J the Doggie Llama!

It was an ordinary day at an ordinary library; yet the event about to unfold was anything BUT ordinary. We were about to meet a superhero!

M was signed up to volunteer to check kids in for a "Read to Me" event: kids read out loud to very special dogs. Usually at least 2 dogs are there but that day there was just one special little dog named Rookie J. Youngest went off searching for books and I sat down to knit while I waited, when I saw one of the funniest and most unexpected things in the library--a little tiny dog doing an army crawl, going backwards! I watched as he got up, walked a little, hopped a little, then did yoga stretches with his back legs. Kids followed him back towards the art room and so did I! He was so much fun to watch but soon it was time for Rookie and his Mommy to go into the room for a reading session with a little girl. I saw how Rookie J was with the very small children that had surrounded him, and read what the program was and immediately thought that it could be a good idea for Z, but the program was listed as grades k-4. I had quickly mentioned to Rookie's mommy a few things about Z and she thought it would be fine for next time.

Z had developed some big fears of little dogs so I wanted him to see Rookie before I signed him up, so we hung out with M outside of the room but peeked in the window. After the session was done, Tammi (Rookie J's Mommy) invited Z to come in and meet Rookie. Z was so nervous...but Rookie was amazing. He sensed Z was nervous and took his time getting closer; I have never seen a dog react like this. Rookie wasn't nervous at all, he was completely in tune to Z's emotions and did little things help Z feel at ease, until eventually gently walking up to and climbing onto his lap. At that moment the most remarkable thing happened--youngest's body relaxed. He didn't just calm down, his ENTIRE BEING was soothed and seemed to fuse into Rookie's soothing, calm demeanor. They were communicating with each other on a level that most of us will never know. There had been some extremely stressful events in the days prior to meeting Rookie that had left all of us stressed and upset. That moment with Rookie J took the rest of the pain away and left only a sense of calm joy in its place.

I admit that I became quietly emotional, and I left the room to let Z bond more with Rookie. I didn't want youngest to see the enormity of the moment that I was sensing, I only wanted him to continue being only in the moments he and the wonderful little dog were sharing. Tammi was as in tune to what was happening as Rookie was in tune with Zach; I know that even after I came back in the room, she had some wonderful things to say but, to be honest, much of that time is almost dreamlike in my memory because it was so powerfully moving to see this child, at times so full of worry or stress about this crazy world, so completely at peace with the universe. Later I found out from Tammi that the last 2 children that were signed up were no-shows, which opened up all that time for Rookie and Z to really get to know each other.

Tammi and Rookie J were placed in our path for a reason. In the time after that initial meeting, I believed it was just for that moment of peace for Z--for which I was and would have been completely grateful! There is much more to it than that. I've had the opportunity--BLESSING--of getting to know Tammi a bit. She shared with me that the interaction of Rookie J and Z had stayed with her after we left and she, too, felt things had aligned to have us meet. We got to see them both again a couple weeks ago; dog and boy were instantly one again. I know that might sound corny or contrived but for anyone seeing it, it was real and true. Tammi has amazing ideas for Rookie J and I believe that they are going to do incredible things. Please visit his new Facebook Page by clicking Rookie J, Doggie Llama on Facebook to see pictures of our new little hero and watch the amazing and wonderful changes he is going to make in the world.

Here are some pictures of Rookie J and Z :)


No comments: