Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Homeschooling and the "S" word...

So the S word has been coming up as a topic on some loops again. Its the dreaded....dare I say it...socialization topic. !GASP! How is it that I can hear how good the kids are, what wonderful conversationalists they can be, how smart they are, and then "but are they socialized?". Excuuuuuuuuse me? Sounds like a question about a pet. What a cute puppy, so calm, and so well behaved--but is he socialized? Yes, we actually do get out of the house. And yes, the kids actually do things with other--can you believe it--children. I know a lot of people ask this question simply because its what they've heard other people ask about homeschoolers and they're trying to make conversation. Inisder's tip here: ITS NOT A GOOD CONVERSATION STARTER! lol, but seriously, if you stop and think about the question, its pretty insulting.

3 comments:

The Campbell Family said...

I'm shocked! I thought homeschoolers were locked in closets with books and let out when they turn 18!!!!

momluvs4kidz2000 said...

I know I"ve said this already, but you are so funny. :) Seriously though, I had to nurses say "now, does he actually ever see other children?" when doing phone interviews for Zachary's evals. Its hard to keep my sunny sarcasm in check at moments like those.

MoonDog said...

they wont even know how to stand in line! how come spending the day in a room with a group of people all your same age= socialization and interacting with people of all ages in various scenarios = not socialized? I homeschool too.