Friday, November 22, 2013

A Birthday Gift from My First-Born

She told me my birthday present would be a little late. I knew she was excited for it get here; that is typical from A--she loves giving awesome presents to see the reaction of the recipient. For example, youngest got a surprise, top secret arrival of his Navy we-thought-he-was-already-deployed-brother-in-law (A's husband) for Z's birthday present! I didn't know what to expect but couldn't wait, expecting new boots (to replace the beat-up old brown boots I love to wear each winter to torture her with their ugliness) or a pretty picture or something like that.

The box arrived the day after my birthday and I opened it the minute I got inside the house. The beautiful card was honestly enough but I pulled out the gift bag to see what was in there anyway, just out of curiosity of course. It was a beautiful mug, with "Momma" hand written on the front with a heart.












On the other side I saw a handwritten note. I read and thought how incredibly sweet this was that my grown daughter made me this mug, and developed quite the lump in my throat! As I made my way through the words, they began to sound familiar...as I got to "he is good, so good...." I realized it was the words to Carrie Underwood's "Mama's Song" and started bawling like a baby. If you don't know, my daughter got married about 18 months ago and lives across the country and I miss her TERRIBLY, but I take solace in knowing she is married to a good man that not only takes care of her but lets her take care of him. I was determined for her to be independent and confident and she is independent and confident--and funny, silly, incredibly intelligent with street smarts yet dippy and hilarious sometimes at the same time. This amazing child said these things to me; words can't express the depth of emotions I felt and continue to feel each time I look at this mug.



I will always worry, but I know you are happy, and knowing that makes me happy.

I am blessed.


Here are the words that are written on the mug:

Mama (except she wrote 'Momma'), you taught me to do the right things.
So, now you have to let your baby fly.
You've given me everything that I will need.
To make it through this crazy thing called life.
And I know you watched me grow up,
and only want what's best for me.
And I think I found the answer to your prayers.
 And he Is good, so good.
He treats your little girl,
like a real man should.
He is good, SO good.
He makes promises he keeps.
No, he's never gonna leave.
So, don't you worry about me.
Don't you worry about me.



No comments: